Among the many different breast enhancement options that well-known cosmetic plastic surgeon Dr. Thomas McNemar offers, breast augmentation is requested more than any other procedure year after year. He takes the time during each breast augmentation consultation at his Tracy and San Ramon offices to review the many options available for breast implants with patients, who live in Stockton and Modesto, CA, and across the Bay Area, to help them achieve the enhanced breast size and shape they desire.
To learn more about your breast implant choices, request your consultation online and receive a complimentary excerpt from Dr. McNemar's book Breast Augmentation & Body Contouring. Or, call him in San Ramon at (925) 967-2804 or Tracy at (209) 834-0626 to make your appointment.
Real Patients, Great Results
Browse our online photo gallery to see the beautiful results for yourself.
This patient got saline breast implants to restore fullness she lost after having children. See more details about her operation.
Your surgical consultation is your first interaction with Dr. McNemar. It's an important opportunity to discuss your medical history, aesthetic goals, lifestyle, and other topics related to your surgery. In addition to talking about your goals, Dr. McNemar also performs a detailed physical examination to evaluate your specific concerns and gain a deeper understanding of your anatomy. He'll guide you through your surgical options and discuss how different implants can give you different results.
When you're considering breast implants, it's imperative to consult with a surgeon who is certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and who has vast experience with a wide range of different implant types, such as Dr. McNemar. You have several different factors to decide on, but with Dr. McNemar's guidance, the process can be simple, exciting, and rather fun. Thanks to his exceptional skills and work with the most advanced implants, Dr. McNemar can help you find options that exceed your goals and give you clear expectations about how your results may look.
Read more below about each of the different options you decide on together when you choose breast implants.
Breast Implant Type
Dr. McNemar offers both saline and silicone breast implants. This decision is typically a matter of personal preference for his breast augmentation patients.
- Saline implants are filled with a sterile saltwater solution. Dr. McNemar can use a smaller incision when inserting saline implants than with silicone implants. He can adjust the implant size as needed before completing the surgery. If a rupture occurs after the procedure, the body will naturally absorb the harmless contents of the implant.
- Silicone implants are pre-filled with a cohesive gel and available in a variety of sizes. Many women feel that silicone implants possess a much more natural feel. Dr. McNemar recommends routine follow-up visits to check the implant status if you decide to have silicone implants.
- Highly cohesive silicone gel implants, commonly called "gummy bear" implants, are filled with a different form of silicone gel. These implants get their nickname because they hold their shape even when torn, just like gummy candy. Although breakage is unlikely, many women appreciate the additional peace of mind that these implants provide. Additionally, they have a very realistic look and feel.
Breast Implant Shape
After determining what type of implant you would like, it's time to decide on the shape. The 2 primary implant shapes are:
- Round implants are usually preferred by women interested in a curved breast appearance. Many women feel that round implants are more similar to natural breasts when they move.
- Teardrop implants possess a natural breast shape, which is why they are also called anatomical implants. Teardrop implants have a top and bottom, and are typically textured to avoid movement within the breast pocket.
Breast Implant Size & Profile
There are a number of factors that go into choosing the "right" size, from your body type to your aesthetic goals. Dr. McNemar will discuss the different factors involved and, together, you will achieve a decision. If you have significant sagging, he may suggest combining your augmentation with a breast lift.
Dr. McNemar also will discuss the profile of your breast implant. The 3 primary types of breast implant profiles are high, medium, and low. The profile (or "projection") is determined by your body type and chest dimensions. Low profile implants are wider and flatter, while more projected, narrower implants are high profile. Although most women choose high or medium profile implants, Dr. McNemar will make sure that you understand which profile is right for your body's dimensions and your cosmetic goals.
For answers to common questions about breast implants and breast augmentation, visit Dr. McNemar's Breast Augmentation FAQ page.
Before & After Photo Gallery
See the remarkable results of women and men who chose surgery from Dr. McNemar.
Dr. McNemar in the News
View recent news clips, articles and press releases featuring Dr. McNemar as an authority on cosmetic treatments.