Have you ever wished you could transfer fat from an area where it's unwelcome and use it to enhance your face or your body's curves? It may seem too good to be true, but this is actually a common and effective treatment. Fat transfer, also called fat grafting, is an option for Bay Area and Stockton, CA patients considering a natural alternative for buttock augmentation or breast reconstruction following mastectomy. Dr. Thomas B. McNemar also uses the fat transfer technique for facial rejuvenation.
Bay Area residents can learn more about fat transfer techniques by requesting a consultation online to meet personally with Dr. McNemar. Or you can call us at (925) 967-2804 for our San Ramon office or 925.967.2804 for our Tracy office to schedule an appointment.
About Fat Transfer
Fat transfer is a 3-step process. First, Dr. McNemar uses liposuction to remove fat from an area where it is unwanted, such as the abdomen, hips, or thighs. Then, he processes the fat to remove impurities and damaged cells. Finally, he injects the fat into the area of the buttocks or breasts you want to enhance.
Fat injections are also used for facial rejuvenation with the LipoStructure® technique.
Good Candidates for Fat Transfer
During your initial consultation with Dr. McNemar, you work together to determine whether fat transfer is a suitable option for you. The decision depends partly on your cosmetic goals and the amount of fat you have available for liposuction. Good candidates are in generally good health and are nonsmokers.
Fat grafting is typically used for the following procedures:
- Brazilian butt lift: Using a patient's fat has become a popular method for buttock augmentation, rather than using synthetic implants. Patients who desire rounder buttocks and have enough excess fat to harvest through liposuction are good candidates.
- Breast reconstruction: Fat grafting is one of the options available to women who have had a full or partial mastectomy and want to reconstruct their breasts.
- Cosmetic enhancement for the face and hands: Fat injections provide a more youthful look by adding volume to areas that are starting to show signs of aging. Fat is also an option for lip augmentation.
What Dr. McNemar's Patients Are Saying
"I have had other procedures over the years and have never met a doctor that was as easy to talk to as Dr. McNemar. He really listened to my concerns. I couldn't be happier with my results."
Read more testimonials.
A fat transfer procedure such as a Brazilian butt lift is performed as an outpatient operation, meaning you'll return home the same day. The 3-step procedure includes:
- Harvesting: During the VASER® LipoSelection procedure, Dr. McNemar injects the targeted areas with fluid that combines diluted anesthetic with epinephrine, saturating the fatty tissue until it is swollen and firm. He then makes tiny incisions and inserts specialized probes that emit ultrasound energy that selectively targets fat tissue. Fat cells are gently suctioned from the body to minimize trauma and ensure they remain viable for injection later.
- Purification: Fatty tissue that's removed during liposuction includes fluids and impurities that must be separated from the fat. Once the processing is complete, the purified fat is transferred to small, specialized syringes used to inject the fat.
- Placement: Dr. McNemar performs a series of precise injections to place the fat in the area you want to augment. Ultimately, the grafted fat resembles a grid. The process continues until enough fat is injected to get the desired results. Because the body reabsorbs a significant percentage of the grafted fat cells, the initial results may appear "overfilled."
The length and comfort level of your recovery depends on the nature of your procedure. Bruising and swelling in the area where the liposuction was performed is natural and gradually dissipates after about a week. The incisions involved in both liposuction and fat transfer are tiny and in most cases won't be noticeable once they heal.
We recommend liposuction patients take a week off from work. You can typically resume normal activities during the second week, but wait at least 3 to 4 weeks before attempting more strenuous physical exercises.
Before & After Photo Gallery
See the remarkable results of women and men who chose surgery from Dr. McNemar.
Dr. McNemar in the News
View recent news clips, articles and press releases featuring Dr. McNemar as an authority on cosmetic treatments.